Most of the experiments performed at the School For Peculiar Children are either free or very low-cost. We try to use recyclable materials, odds and ends from my husband’s wood shop, clever tricks and substitutions. We are incorporating things most of us already have in our homes.
- DIY hovercraft Let’s explore the science behind ACV (air cushion vehicle,) also known as a hovercraft, and build our own amphibious vehicle!
- Freeze your water instantly in 10 easy steps. Super cool “supercooling” experiment will let you try out Elsa’s powers.
- Water beads: fun experiments, unexpected results: Freeze, fry, mix, create sensory bins and stress balls using water beads.
- Leaf Chromarography Why do leaves change color?
- Walking On Eggshells using scientific method (answers provided by a 1st grader.)
- Water Defying Gravity Observe water tension in action.
- Baking soda playdough with a twist. Messy sensory play + science + easy cleanup.
- Explaining Bernoulli’s Effect to a 5-year-old
- Explaining Gravity To A 5-Year-Old